Sunday, March 10, 2013

Steps

You came to me already named
No bottles to warm or diapers to change
No lullabies or stories shared
Or teaching you to say your prayers

I missed the precious moments that
With my own child love began
Your hopes and dreams already sown
By Memories I’d never know

I couldn’t ease the pain you felt
When in the night you’d cry for help
And though I’d run to you myself
I knew you longed for someone else

Another love you’d always have
Who knew your fears, your cries, your laugh
Even though you were apart
She would always have your heart

Wanting to love you
Wanting to help you
Wanting to find a way to tell you
That I was there no matter what
And that I never would give up

Trying to find an empty place
Within your lives and fill that space
To be whoever you needed then
Hoping your love at last to win

               I didn’t understand your ways
               I had to learn them as the days
               Of your lives were passing by
               No catching up although I tried

New memories across the years
Shared joys and sorrows that brought us near
Created a way for me to start
To climb the steps into your hearts

1 comment:

  1. Each poem that you post touches something very deep in my heart!! Thank you! --BG

    ReplyDelete