Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Peace and Quiet and Other Myths

                It was a terribly emotional morning.  In fact I was shifting emotions like a truck driver shifts gears. Going through pride, fear, joy, sadness, doubt, and finally settling on guilt. I felt guilty because I couldn’t wait for this day to come.  It was my daughters first day of school.  Not just Pre-school or kindergarten but gone all day, 5 days a week 1st grade.   I know how that sounds but as a single parent it meant that I could now get a full time job and start to focus on myself again.  Then she walked down the sidewalk and into the school doors and I shifted back to sadness once again.
                When I got back home I wandered around the house for a while not knowing what to do first.  There was no-one to watch me and ask a thousand questions about what I was doing, I could watch something besides Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers and eat whatever I wanted for lunch.  I settled on finishing the book that I had been trying to read before I went to bed every night. It was amazing to complete a whole chapter without falling asleep or being interrupted.
                Half way through the second chapter the phone rang.  It was the school nurse.  I was so scared that I could hardly hear what she was saying.  We had only been apart for 1 hour.  My daughter’s fingers had been caught in the bathroom door and I could hear her crying in the background.  Suddenly all I wanted was to keep her home with me.  A few minutes of peace and quiet was not worth the risk of her being without me when she was hurt or afraid.  By the time I got to school she was on the playground running around with a big smile on her face.  My first day of peace and quiet left me exhausted and emotionally confused. A perfect example of what my life as a parent would be like for the next 12 years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment