Monday, September 24, 2012

Double Vision

                Living in rural area meant long bus rides to school and back.  I was one of the first ones on in the morning and the last off at night.  I had my pick of seats but usually sat alone because none of my friends rode the same bus. Sitting in the back was a disaster because the cool kids would tease me to try and intimidate me into giving them the seat.  Even in the middle seats I felt like I was breaking up a group so I ended up in the front just behind the driver.
                  I rode the same bus for 11 years and had the same bus driver for most of them. I had discovered that the front seat had a great view not just from my window but over the drivers shoulder through the large front window.  Over time I knew every house, farm, and field on the route including the horses, cows and dogs that lived there.  I noticed what kind of flowers grew along the road during what season and anticipated them each year as well as new generations of livestock each spring.
                   I was thrilled when I saw wildlife along the way and one day after seeing a large buck I glanced up into the driver’s rear view mirror. He nodded and smiled directly at me and I knew that he had seen it too.  We never had a conversation but I knew that he and I shared a special knowledge of the route.  We began to automatically exchange glances whenever there was something special or new along the way. During the winter it was harder to see through the slush coated windows.  One day when I got on the bus I found that the slush on my window, and only my window, had been cleared off in a neat circle.  I looked up and saw the driver grinning but he didn’t make eye contact.  From that day forward I always had a clear view and I never even thought about being alone or unpopular again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment