Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Just a Big Blow Hard or Oh Lucy II

Everyone should have at least one opportunity to work in a factory during their lifetime.  It makes you appreciate the work that goes in to even the smallest things.  Machines do much of the work but there are still many jobs that require human dexterity, and an eye for detail.
One of my first jobs was in a factory that made plastic toys.  My first day there I was assigned to the assembly line that made inflatable kites.  I was given the easiest position on the line.  All I had to do was inflate every tenth kite with an air hose to make sure the seams did not leak.  I couldn’t believe how simple it was.  I forgot my nerves and imagined myself earning the quickest promotion in the history of the company. 
The line began to move and the kites began to fall into the box in front of me.  I watched carefully and pulled out the 10th kite.  I had to keep count as I inflated the kite so I pushed the air hose in and kept my eyes on the line.  Luckily the kites came down rather slowly because there was some glue on the label that had to dry before they continued.
Bam! The noise was deafening and I was sure that I had lost at least one finger as I felt the sting of the plastic against my hand.  I heard a few soft giggles but the line never stopped.  I pulled myself together and tried to figure out how many kites I had missed during the explosion.
I took a guess and pulled out another kite.  Bam! I couldn’t believe I did it again.  This time the giggles were louder and I saw the supervisor heading my way.  She asked if there was problem and I said I thought I just needed a lighter touch on the air hose.  Apparently, I didn’t know my own strength because the explosions continued throughout the day.  They were fewer and farther between but still too many to keep the giggles from turning into icy stares.  I would like to say the day 2 was better but there wasn’t one by mutual agreement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment