Monday, September 3, 2012

Welcome to Naphtali's Land


      Deciding what to post on my blog was much easier than deciding what to call it. For every positively unique name I came up with there were at least 5 or 6 other blogs with the same title. A blow to my creative ego, I looked for inspiration elsewhere and came across a quote by the 19th-century Scottish historian, Thomas Carlyle, “The merit of originality is not novelty; it is sincerity.” The truth behind this blog is that I love to write and to imagine that my words will entertain or inspire others. I found my title in a story about a father’s blessing and gift to his son. A gift because he understood who he was and what he had to give, which was a gift that my own father gave to me.
       In the Bible’s book of Genesis chapter 49 Jacob was giving a last prophetic blessing to each of his 12 sons. In verse 21 he blessed his son Naphtali, "Naphtali is a hind let loose: he giveth goodly words". (KJV) or “Naphtali is a doe set free; he utters beautiful words.” (NIV translation II)  I researched further and found that the portion of the Promised Land allotted to Naphtali was bordered by the Jordan River, and that the only brother with which he shared both mother and father was named Dan.  I grew up on the Fox River and my only brother’s name is Dan so I felt right at home in Naphtali’s land.  Sharing the stories and poems inspired by my life’s journey I only hope that what I write here will be "goodly words" that make you feel at home too.


No comments:

Post a Comment